In Wizards of the Coast’s continuing efforts to build strong Magic: The Gathering player communities in hobby stores, we are changing how we are running Canada National Qualifiers in 2011.
On April 16, 2011, “National Qualifier – Regional” tournaments will be held in 4 cities in Canada. Each of these tournaments will offer 8 invitations to the 2011 Canada National Championship. These tournaments will be run by Professional Tournament Organizers.
On April 23-24 and April 30-May 1, 2011, select WPN Advanced-level stores in Canada will run “National Qualifier – WPN” tournaments. Each of these tournaments will offer 1 invitation to the 2011 Canada National Championship.
Information about the 2011 Canada National Championship will be available soon. All information about Canada Nationals will be posted in the 2011 Canada Nationals Fact Sheet located on the 2011 National Championships information page.
The following applies to all 2011 Canada National Qualifiers:
Find a National Qualifier Near You!
Find a National Qualifier Near You!
Entry fee varies from location to location. Check with the organizer of each event for specific information.
- Deck lists are required
- 50 minutes per round
- Number of Swiss rounds based on attendance according to the following chart:
Playoff (8 Invitation)
Playoff (1 Invitation)
|410 or higher
||None (Single Elimination)
||None (run Single-Elimination)
|17 - 32
|33 - 64
|65 - 128
|129 - 226
|227 - 409
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds
- If a National Qualifier offers 1 to Canada Nationals, the top 8 players after the final Swiss round will advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals.
- If a National Qualifier offers 8 invitations to Canada Nationals, no top 8 single-elimination will be run. Prizes and invitations will be awarded on Swiss standings only.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit. Players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 50 minutes
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings
- 32K, REL Competitive
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and the Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the Magic Document Center
- Organizers and judges of National Qualifier tournaments are not permitted to play in the qualifiers.
Eligibility and Invitations
- Players may participate in any Canada National Qualifier subject to the eligibility requirements in the Magic: The Gathering Premier Event Invitation Policy (located in the Magic Document Center)
- If a player already holds an invitation to Canadian Nationals 2011, that player may not participate in a Canadian National Qualifier 2011 Tournaments (players may have earned invitations through performance at 2010 Canadian Nationals, appropriate Pro Tour Players Club level, winning a previous 2011 Canadian National Qualifier, or DCI Rating).
- Invitation(s) to the 2011 Canada National Championship.
- Events held on April 16, 2011 will offer 8 invitations to the Canada National Championship Tournament.
- Events held on April 23, 24, 30, or May 1, 2011 will offer 1 invitation to the Canada National Championship Tournament.
- Other prizes as determined by the organizer
- Players who want more specific local tournament or registration information should contact their local organizer.
- Players who have general questions about the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, Wizards of the Coast LLC, the Wizards Play Network, or any Magic: The Gathering Organized Play program should call Wizards of the Coast at (800) 324-6496, or visit www.wizards.com/customerservice.