elcome to the Gatecrash edition of the Lexicon, in which we explore the meanings of some of the more unusual words we use in the names of those cards. While many offbeat names in Magic (like "rubblehulk") are simply made up, we often dig around dictionaries for real little-used and archaic words for inspiration.
bor•bo•ryg•mus [bawr-buh-rig-muh s]
- a rumbling or gurgling sound caused by the movement of gas in the intestines.
1710–20; < Neo-Latin < Greek borborygmós intestinal rumbling
di•lu•vi•al [dih-loo-vee-uh l]
- pertaining to or caused by a flood or deluge.
pri•mor•di•al [prahy-mawr-dee-uh l]
- constituting a beginning; giving origin to something derived or developed; original; elementary: primordial forms of life.
Embryology. first formed.
- pertaining to or existing at or from the very beginning: primordial matter.
se•pul•chral [suh-puhl-kruh l]
- of, pertaining to, or serving as a tomb.
- of or pertaining to burial.
- proper to or suggestive of a tomb; funereal or dismal.
- hollow and deep: sepulchral tones.
syl•van [sil-vuh n]
- of, pertaining to, or inhabiting the woods.
- consisting of or abounding in woods or trees; wooded; woody: a shady, sylvan glade.
- made of trees, branches, boughs, etc.