1. No purchase necessary. The Undermountain Contest (the "Contest") is open to legal residents of the United States subject to eligibility guidelines below. Void where prohibited by law. The Contest begins at 8:00 a.m. PST on May 1, 2005 and ends at 11:59 p.m. PST on May 31, 2005. This Contest is sponsored by Wizards of the Coast, Inc. ("Wizards"). YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MAKE A PURCHASE OR PROVIDE OTHER CONSIDERATION TO ENTER OR WIN.
2. Eligibility: The Contest is open to any legal resident of the United States. Employees of Wizards, its affiliates, subsidiaries, franchisees, agents, retailers, advertising and promotion agencies, and fulfillment companies, and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) and members of their same households (related or not) are not eligible to participate in the Contest. There is no age limit to participate.
3. How to enter: The seemingly endless number of rooms in Undermountain -- the vast, sprawling dungeon set beneath the Yawning Portal at Waterdeep -- is equaled by the number of adventurers daring to explore them. In recent weeks, the Dungeons & Dragons website has brought you a renewed look at Undermountain; Matthew Sernett's Return to Undermountain series details some of its many rooms so that you can use them in your game. However, this series of articles cannot hope to detail every room and corridor of the vast dungeon; instead, it details individual rooms and encounters that you can use when you run adventurers through Undermountain or any dungeon of your own devising. The Undermountain series will continue to explore many of these fell rooms and halls. All the same, there are many who have tried their luck at exploring Undermountain, with a few even surviving to return and tell their tale.We've set aside one room from the series, and we invite you to describe it.
We have included one room from the map, which can be found here:
Provide an account of this room, up to 2,000 words in length.
Entries should follow the format of those already published in the series:
Tell us about the room: What creatures, traps, and treasure would adventurers encounter? Are there relevant checks for characters to make? When they approach, do they hear the sounds of battle underway inside, a ghostly wail -- or deathly silence? What awaits them behind the room's stone-carven doors?
Provide your description to us in one of three (3) ways:
1) Post it on the message board for the contest, which you can find here:
2) E-mail it, in Microsoft Word™ format, to email@example.com. Please include your name and postal address.
3) Send it, typewritten, on 8 1/2" x 11 sheets of paper to Wizards of the Coast, Attn: Online Media, Help Explore Undermountain Contest, 1801 Lind Ave SW, Renton WA 98055. Please include your name, e-mail address and postal address.
All entries must be received by Wizards no later than May 31, 2005. Limit one entry per person. Entries are the property of Wizards and will not be acknowledged or returned.
4. Judging: A committee determined by Wizards serving as judges of the Contest will review all eligible entries and will select ten (10) of the best room descriptions, based on the following criteria: how each description fits with the Undermountain flavor (40%), originality (30%), and playability (30%). The finalists will be posted on the message boards and at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ru/20050617a on or before June 27, 2005. From these finalists, you, the player community, will vote on your favorite finalist. The finalist with the most votes from the player community will be determined by Wizards on or before July 5, 2005. All decisions made by Wizards on all matters relating to this Contest are binding. Winners will be notified by e-mail or telephone. If winners are unable to be contacted at the information they provided within three (3) days after attempts are made, winner will be disqualified and prize may not be awarded in Wizard's sole discretion.
5. Prize and Approximate Retail Value:
One (1) winner will have his or her winning entry edited by Wizards editorial staff and published on the Dungeons & Dragons website located at http://www.dnd.com. Winner will also receive one hundred forty dollars ($140 USD), and a copy of City of Splendors: Waterdeep. Approximate retail value of prize is $169.95
Prize is not transferable. Winner will be required to sign and return, within 5 days of notification an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability and Publicity. Noncompliance with this requirement, return of prize/prize notification as undeliverable, or failure to comply with any terms of these Official Rules will result in a winner's disqualification.
6. Conditions: Wizards and its agencies are not responsible for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to, or alterations of, entry materials, or failure to receive any entry information. Further, Wizards and its agencies are not responsible for late, lost, damaged, destroyed, delayed, illegible, postage-due or incomplete entries. Wizards reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend, modify or cancel the Contest. By participating in the Contest, entrant agrees to release and hold Wizards, its directors, officers, employees, subsidiaries, affiliates, divisions, agencies and all prize suppliers, harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind in connection with the Contest, or resulting from acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any prize, including, without limitation, personal injuries, death and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy, whether suffered by entrant or a third party. This Contest is void where prohibited by law. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges. All winners, on behalf of themselves, their executors, heirs and assigns, by acceptance of a prize, agree to release Wizards from any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages or losses of any kind to persons or property which may be sustained in connection with the receipt, ownership or use of the prize or otherwise. By accepting a prize, each winner grants Wizards permission to use his/her name and likeness for advertising and future promotional purposes without notice or additional compensation (except where prohibited by law). This Contest is subject to these Official Rules. Failure to comply with The Official Rules will result in disqualification. An entrant?s entries will be disqualified, at the sole discretion of Wizards, if he or she attempts (a) to enter the Contest through any means other than described in these Official Rules; or (b) to disrupt the Contest, circumvent the terms and conditions of these Official Rules, or in any way tamper with any component of the Contest.
This Contest is sponsored by Wizards of the Coast, Inc. Copyright 2005 Wizards of the Coast, Inc., Renton, WA.