We've assembled three desktop themes -- characters, dragons, and monsters -- featuring D&D v.3.5 art. They've got startup and shutdown screens, screensavers, custom icons, and wallpaper.
These desktop themes are for Windows only. They are compatible with Windows 95, 98, ME, and XP. They are not available for older versions of Windows, Windows 2000, or Macintosh OS 9 or OS X. However, you can install the some of the individual components of the desktop theme manually on these operating systems. (For instance, you can install the icons individually in the usual method on the Macintosh OS, along with the wallpapers and the screensavers.)
Instructions for installing the themes are below. The individual pieces are below that.
How to Install the D&D Desktop Themes (Window 95, 98, ME, and XP)
1. On older versions of Windows (95 and 98), you may have to install the "Desktop Themes" feature if it didn't come installed on your system in order to use one of these desktop theme. Go to your "Add/Remove Programs" control panel, and then go to "Windows Components." (You will need your system disk to install the Desktop Themes feature.)
At this point, if you have themes installed, you will see the themes in your control panel. When you double-click one, it will become active.
2. Each theme set is compressed in a ZIP file and must be unzipped before installing. If you do not have Winzip (or some other ZIP utility), get it here.
A theme contains original wallpaper, icons, startup/shutdown screen, and setup for theme color for windows and such. There is no new sound added (nor file created).
3. Once the themeset is unzipped, it installs itself in a directory of the same name. It generally places the directory in the same location as the zip file itself.
There are three themes to choose from:
4. Open the Desktop Themes control panel (Start menu "Settings" Control Panels)
5. Click on the "Themes" pulldown menu and scroll all the way to the bottom to "Other."
6. Direct the dialogue box to wherever you unzipped your theme_set directory.
7. Select one of the files in this directory: CharacterTheme, DragonTheme or MonsterTheme. After you have selected it, click "okay."
8. Your desktop wallpaper, icons and window colors and fonts should change. This also installs a themed startup screen, shutdown screen, and screensaver.
To Use Theme Components Individually
If you have Windows 2000 or a Macintosh running OS 9 or OS X, you cannot install a themeset. You can use the components below by downloading them and installing them in the manner you would for your particular operating system.
Wallpapers (Mac and PC)