Q: Dear Sage,
If my bard has the rage ability, can he use bardic music while raging?
(Producer's Note: There's a death metal joke somewhere in this question, I'm sure of it.)
A: You can’t use any ability that requires concentration while raging, nor can you use any Charisma-based skill other than Intimidate (so Perform is out). Thus, only a few of the bardic music abilities are available to a raging bard:
- Countersong: No (Perform check required).
- Fascinate: No (Perform check required).
- Inspire Courage: Yes.
- Inspire Competence: Only lasts 1 round per use (concentration required).
- Suggestion: No, because you can’t use fascinate.
- Inspire Greatness: Yes.
- Song of Freedom: No (requires concentration).
- Inspire Heroics: Yes.
- Mass Suggestion: No, because you can’t use fascinate.
About the Author
The Sage is a mammal classified in the bear family, Ursidae, native to central and southern China. Debate continues as to whether he is truly a bear or more related to the raccoon rather than the bear, or perhaps in a family of his own. When not eating bamboo and answering rules questions, he works under the nom de plume of Andy Collins as an RPG developer in Wizards of the Coast R&D, where his development credits include Complete Mage, Dragon Magic, and the Player's Handbook v.3.5. He can be easily recognized by his large, distinctive black patches around the eyes, ears and on his rotund body.