Date: May 23-24, 2009
Carrer de Barcelona 2
L'Hospitalet - Barcelona, Spain 08 901
Phone: 0034 932615200
Friday, May 22: 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday, May 23: 8 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
Get your free promo card by playing in the Grand Prix (while supplies last).
Take part in a weekend of serious Magic fun
with a bunch of exciting things to do!
Join the fun in Public Events including 8-players pick-up games, Intro Pack Open Dueling and more. Meet Magic artists Aleksi Briclot and rk post get your cards signed. Battle against a Pro in the ‘Champions Challenge’. Or take part in the main tournament and get a cool foil ‘Chrome Mox’ promo card!
Whatever you want to do, GP Barcelona will be a weekend to remember!
The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is a great reason to get out of the house, catch up with old friends, meet some new ones, and play Magic. Grand Prix tournaments are world-wide open events that allow all Magic players to participate and experience the thrill of a large-scale competition. In addition to $30,000 in cash prizes, Pro Tour invitations for the top 16 finishers, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants, Grand Prix feature a host of other activities, including public events and artist signings. Find out more about the Grand Prix tournament schedule here.
Tournament Format and Schedule
All prizes in U.S. Dollars.
|Top 16 finishers also earn invitations to Pro Tour–Austin.
Participation Fee: 18€
Grand Prix–Barcelona will feed Pro Tour–Austin.
Registration and Schedule
- Friday, May 22: Registration 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Saturday, May 23: Registration 8 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday, May 23: Tournament begins at 9 a.m.
- Sunday, May 24: Day Two begins at 8 a.m.
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Barcelona is open to Magic players of all ages.
- Deck lists are required
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1.
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- If 799 or less players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 64 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- If 800 or more players register for the event, all players with an X-2-0 record (or better) or the top 128 players - whichever is greater - advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations. .
- The top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The head judges will be Adam Cetnerowski and Frank Wareman.
- 40K, Rules Enforcement Level (REL) is Competitive (Day 1) and Professional (Day 2)
- All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: The Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document. Rules documents can be found in the DCI Document Center.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
- In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
Grand Prix Trials
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a particular Grand Prix tournament receive only the bye for the greatest number of rounds):
- Players with a Players Club level of 4 or higher
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 2050 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on May 20, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Constructed rating of 2000 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on May 20, 2009.
- Winners of Grand Prix–Barcelona Trial tournaments.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2 or 3
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1950 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on May 20, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Constructed rating of 1900 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on May 20, 2009.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- Players with a DCI Total rating of 1850 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Total ratings published on May 20, 2009.
- Players with a DCI Constructed rating of 1800 or higher. Byes are based on DCI Constructed ratings published on May 20, 2009.
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
Half Price Drafting
Participate in an 8-player single elimination draft tournament before 15.00 on Saturday and pay only half the normal entry fee.
In the open dueling area you can play quick games with other players who have also registered. You can earn cool promos and if you don’t have a deck, there are intro decks available.
Registration for scheduled events opens an hour before the event and closes 15 minutes before the event with the exception of the PTQ and Legacy tournament.
11.00 8-Player Single Elimination pick-up tournaments (Entry fee: Constructed 5€/Booster Draft 15€; Price payout 5/3/2/2 boosters)
15.00 Two-Headed Giant - Limited (Entry fee 30€; Price pool 2 boosters PP; 4 rounds, prize payout based on point standing; 2HG goodie for every registered player, while supplies last)
16.00 Start Registration for PTQ Austin and Legacy
The start of the last public events will be four hours prior to the estimated end of the main event but not earlier then 16.00.
08.00 Registration for PTQ Austin and Legacy
08.30 PTQ Austin – Standard – Winner will receive an invite and a flight to Austin (Entry fee 10€; Price pool 2 boosters PP; Top 8 can be held at a different location)
09.00 Legacy – iPod tournament (Entry fee 5€; Price payout 2 boosters PP)
12.30 Shards of Alara Sealed deck tournament. (Entry fee 25€; Price Payout 2 boosters PP; Product: 2 Shards of Alara boosters, 2 Conflux boosters, 2 Alara Reborn boosters, 5 rounds, prize payout based on point standing)
The start of the last public events will be four hours prior to the estimated end of the PTQ but not earlier then 17.00.
* Wizards of the Coast reserves the right to make any changes to the schedule without prior notice.
ARTISTS: ALEKSI BRICLOT and rk POST
A concept artist and art director in the video game industry for nine years, Aleksi was lead artist on ColdFear, the horror-action game developed by DarkWorks for Ubisoft, then on Splinter Cell Double Agent, from the hit series and more recently on Haze (still Ubisoft) and Dungeon Runners (NCsoft). He also contributed on the Heroes of Might & Magic 4's trailer and the Prince of Persia 3 2005 E3's booth banner.
Also an illustrator, he is one of the main card and packaging artists for Wizards of the Coast (Magic: The Gathering, Dreamblade) and has drawn pieces for RPG books (hundreds of interior illustrations), magazines, and comics. He did covers for Mage, Vampire , C.O.P.S Rpgs, Tolkien, J.V.Jones, Bradley books, Horrorclix (Wizkids) packaging, Privateer Press, World of Warcraft gaming cards.
As for comic books, his early works were the comics adaptation of the video game Alone in the Dark 4, then Spawn: Simony, the graphic novel for TMP which was the best-selling trade paperback in the US for May 2004. He had also taken part in the Legends of the Round Table, a comic book for the European market. He’s also a cover artist for Marvel on the Annihilation: Conquest saga and for Hellgate, another Dark Horse limited comic book series. He’s finishing illustrating Merlin, an ambitious 130-page artbook about the legendary wizard and his new Spawn graphic novel called “Architects of Fear” for Todd McFarlane Productions will be released in May 2009. He is also an instructor for the international ConceptArt / MassiveBlack workshops and you can find samples of his artworks in several international art books, fantastic and digital art anthologies. He won a silver award in Spectrum 16.
Just prior to graduation from Northern Illinois University in 1994, rk post started freelancing the fantasy gaming industry doing interior illustration for several major game companies, gradually teaching himself how to paint with acrylics and eventually oils. rk garnered a staff illustration position at TSR (a company purnchased by Wizards of the Coast soon after) in the fall of 1996 painting cover illustrations for games and novels. Wizards of the Coast and rk parted company in the winter of 2000 and still contracts work as a full time freelance illustrator.
He currently works full time as Concept Director for Hidden Path Entertainment. rk started painting Magic: the Gathering art with the Exodus expansion of the Tempest block over ten years ago and continues his work on the game to this day. rk post has his collected works available in a hard cover art book, Postmortem: the Art of rk post.
Wizards of the Coast regrets to say that Justin Sweet will not be in attendance as previously announced.
Other Hall Attractions
The Champions Challenge: Play Against Magic Champions
Want to see how you fare against the Magic champions? Come to the Champions Challenge area and test your skills against top pro players.
NOTE: The following hotels offer an interesting rate for Magic players. These hotels are however not endorsed by or affiliated with Wizards of the Coast. Hotels will accept reservations subject to availability of rooms and rates.
H10 Itaca Barcelona
The H10 ITACA hotel is located close to the main train station, 10 minutes taxi from La Farga and can offer rooms at €115.00 per double room with breakfast; €105.00 per single room with breakfast; 7% VAT not included.
Av. Roma, 22
E-08015 - Barcelona
Phone: (34) 93 226 55 94
Fax: (34) 93 226 43 15
WotC ref.: 3154
Barcelo Sants Hotel
The Barcelo Sants is approximately 20 minutes by car from La Farga. Double occupancy room with breakfast €100.00; Double room for single occupancy with breakfast €85.00; 7% VAT not included.
Pl. dels Països Catalans s/n.
08014 – Barcelona
Phone no.: +34 93 5035300
Fax: +34 93 4906045
Travel by Car
Directions can easily be found at the venue website www.lafarga.com.
Travel by Plane
Barcelona El Prat de Llobregat international airport connects to almost every big city in Europe. Other airports close to Barcelona are Reus and Gerona, which mainly host low-cost airlines. Both airports are situated about 100 kilometers from Barcelona.
Public Transport to Venue
The venue La Farga, is easily accessible from Barcelona city centre by metro. Take the red Linea 1 direction of Hospital de Bellvitge and get off at stop Avinguda Carrilet. From there, it’s a 2 minute walk to La Farga.
You can also take the suburban train on the pink Linea 8 at Plaza Espanya direction of Moli Nou – Ciutat Cooperativa and get off at L’Hospitalet, from here it’s a 5 minute walk.
Alternatively if you are travelling to the venue direct from the airport you should take the Renfe train R10 to Bellvitge and change to Linea 8 and follow the directions above.
More information can be found here: www.tmb.es, www.lafarga.com and www.fgc.net.
Things to See/Do
If you want to explore Barcelona, you can take a look at the website www.bcn.es.
Wizards of the Coast
Carrer de Barcelona 2
L'Hospitalet de Llobregat – Barcelona