Please read the following instructions carefully.
Write an essay answering each of the ten questions below.
Each essay should be between 250 and 350 words, and so your total submission should be between 2500 and 3500 words. Don't include any text other than your email answers. If your answers are under or over the required length, the entire test may be discarded.
Submit your answers by clicking on the "Respond via email" link below. Enter your name, the email address you want us to use to contact you, the subject line "GDS2 Essay Answers", and your essays.
To avoid losing your entire submission in case of technical error, we highly recommend typing out your answers in a text editor, then transferring them to the email form.
You may submit your answers at any time, but submissions received later than 12:01 a.m. Eastern Daylight time on Monday, October 11 will not be accepted. (If you're not in the Eastern time zone, take careful note of the time difference. For reference, 12:00 a.m. Eastern time is when the site updates each day.)
- Introduce yourself and explain why you are a good fit for this internship.
- You are instructed to move an ability from one color to another. This ability must be something used in every set (i.e. discard, direct damage, card drawing etc.). You may not choose an ability that has already been color shifted by R&D. What ability do you shift and to what color do you shift it? Explain why you would make that shift.
- What block do you feel did the best job of integrating design with creative? What is one more thing that could have been done to make it even better?
- R&D has recently been looking at rules in the game that aren't pulling their weight. If you had to remove an existing rule from the game for not being worth its inclusion, what would it be?
- Name a card currently in Standard that, from a design standpoint, should not have been printed. What is the card and why shouldn't we have printed it?
- What do you think design can do to best make the game accessible to newer players?
- What do you think design can do to best make the game attractive to experienced players?
- Of all the mechanics currently in Extended, which one is the best designed? Explain why.
- Of all the mechanics currently in Extended, which one is the worst designed? Explain why.
- Choose a plane to revisit other than Dominaria or Mirrodin. What is a mechanical twist we could add if we revisit this plane?