Appendix d12: Underdark Travelers
By Jason Sholtis
With the Rise of the Underdark campaign underway, this year has seen its share of drow incursions against the surface world—playing out right now in both the current D&D Encounters season and D&D Lair Assault. Add to that, the upcoming release of Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue, and it’s highly possible that your campaign will soon be venturing into the Underdark.
To help DMs add further detail to their adventures underground, Jason Sholtis (of The Dungeon Dozen) has provided the following table—in the spirit of the 1st Edition DMG’s appendices, charts, and random encounters!
In this week’s table, we look at potential underground crossroads encounters your players may come across…
- Drow of high station fleeing charges of embezzlement, effecting disguise as ascetic monk.
- Deep gnome warrior with manservant: actually a secret hostage (currently charmed and disguised), a petty noble from a well-known surface realm.
- Mind flayer with partially stupefied man on a psychic tether; accessory that's all the rage with fashion-conscious illithids.
- Wizard afflicted by out-of-control experimental polymorph spell: randomly changes form twice an hour.
- Drider cowboys driving herd of flightless giant flies.
- Invisible procession: continuously wailing and ululating ghost funeral meandering toward site of lost civilization (can be easily followed but will take 1d12 x 10 weeks to reach destination).
- Party of drow from esoteric sub-sect: wrapped in black fabrics from head-to-toe, en route to secret temple with ensorcelled surface dweller (also obscured by robes) earmarked for sacrifice.
- Team of itinerant dwarf acrobats and jugglers desperately in need of gigs.
- Haughty vampires fresh from surface: luxuriating in the perpetual twilight and ready to go wild.
- Self-proclaimed drow messiah, come to free his people from the depravities of the spider queen, with growing gang of vicious, armed-to-the-teeth disciples: pauses frequently for rather impressive impromptu oratory.
- Professional monster wrangler and hard-bitten sidekicks with shackled abomination for delivery to surface sorcerer.
- Dark elf extermination team on search-and-destroy mission against pesky ropers.